2015-16 Quiz 1 with answers
By Dennis Morris
This is Quiz 1 of the 2015-16 baseketball season.
1. When does a free throw start?
A free throw begins when the ball is at the disposal of the free thrower. Page. 34.
2. What causes the ball to become dead during a free throw?
1. A free throw which is followed by another free throw. 2. A free throw which is followed by a throw in.
3. A violation by the throwing team. Pages 49-50.
3. Unless otherwise required by rule, when are substitutes allowed to enter during the free throws for a flagrant foul?
Before the first attempt, between the first and second attempt, or after the final attempt.. When a player is required to be replaced, then all other substitutes who have legally reported may also enter the game. Page 22.
4. True or False: During a free throw for a technical foul, all players must be behind the free throw line extended and behind the division line.
False. Behind the free throw line extended and behind the 3 point line. Page 54.
5. Who can occupy what lane spaces? When?
2 offensive players (maximum) and 4 defensive players (2 minimum) Bottom two has to be filled by defensive team all the time. If offensive team does not fill middle two spots, then defensive team can fill the bottom 4 spots. Page 53 Rule book; Page 61 Case Book.
6. What is the size of each lane space?
3 ft (36″ BY 36″) Page 10 and 55 Rulebook.
7. True or False. A teammate may inadvertently disconcert the free throw.
False. An opponent may inadvertently disconcert free throw. Page 55 Rulebook. The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate. No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower. Page 64 Casebook.
8. What official has coverage responsibility for which players in the marked lane spaces?
Lead: Bottom player on his side of lane, plus all other players opposite lane. Center: Shooter, plus opposite 2 players on top. Trail: Anybody behind 3 point line. Pages 74-75 Mechanics manual.
9. When does the ball become live during a free throw?
The ball becomes live on a free throw when it is at the disposal of the free thrower. (make sure of the catch on the bounce) Page 47.
10. A1 doesn’t catch the bouncing ball to attempt the free throw. What is the correct procedure?
The ball goes back to the administering official, and the process starts over. There is no penalty for this. The muff play is only address in the casebook Page 63-64.
11. During a free throw by A1, B3 pushes A2. Then B1, who is in a marked lane space is in the lane too soon. (A) Before A1 has started a free throw motion.
Foul causes the ball to become to dead. A1 is permitted the specified number of free throws after which the foul is penalized. If one and one, shoot original free throw first with lane cleared, then oneone second for foul on line. If not one and one, shoot original free throw first with lane cleared, and then team A gets ball out of bounds on baseline.
12. (Continued from 11) (B) After A1 has started a throwing motion.
The foul does not cause the ball to become dead, so there are two infractions. Even though the foul occurred first, the violation is the first to be penalized if A1’s try is unsuccessful.
True or False: Before the ball is released on a free throw attempt by A1, B1 violates when a foot breaks the vertical plane of the side edge of the lane line boundary, steps on the outside edge of the lane line boundary, loses his or her balance and touches the inside of the lane with both hands, or extends arms over the area between the lane spaces.
False. Violation in first 3 examples. Legal in the last option because there is no illegal contact. Page 66 Casebook.